Lightening the color of tooth through use of chemical agent to oxidize/reduce the organic pigmentation in the tooth is known as bleaching.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TEETH WHITENING?
1. The chief advantage of teeth whitening is it painless and does not require any injection.
2. No alteration of tooth structure is required
3. There is no loss of tooth structure(enamel).
4. Relatively low cost as compared to other aesthetic treatments.
WHAT ARE THE DISADVANTAGES/SIDE-EFFECT OF TEETH WHITENING?
1. The effect of teeth whitening / bleaching on natural tooth is not permanent as compared to crowns and veneers. This is particularly important when patient is not willing to stop the stains causing habits, such as smoking or drinking excessive tea or coffee.
2. Sometimes, it requires two or three sittings more as compared to veneering.
3. It is not effective for all types of tooth discolorations, such as tetracycline staining.Furthermore, teeth whitening / bleaching cannot fully correct opacity or white spots frequently seen in fluorosis.
4. Bleaching can be inappropriate or dangerous when the surface, thickness and health of enamel is less.
5. Results are not same for every patient.
6. It can sometimes cause some low-grade reversible pulpal inflammation and may lead to hard tooth structure damage.