WHAT IS CLEAR ALIGNERS/ INVISALIGN?
• Invisalign/aligners are least visible method for moving teeth without band, wire, or bracket.
• Invisalign/aligners treatment consists of a series of aligners that are worn full day to gradually move teeth to desired postion.
• An Invisalign/aligner is a custom-made, removable, transparent,comfortable dental retainer made from thermoformed medical polycarbonate, which is inert and bio-compatible with humanbody.
• Each aligner is worn approximately 22 hours a day over a 2-week period. This leaves 2 hours a day for eating and toothbrushing.
• Aligners are changed every 2-3 week on an average to allow for slow tooth movement over time according to the doctor’s diagnosis and
• Treatment duration can range from 6 to 30 months.
WHAT ARE ADVANTAGES/BENEFITS OF INVISALIGN TREATMENT?
1. MINIMAL VISIBILITY
The transparency of aligners is a key feature and responds to the
increasing demand from patients for discreet
orthodontic devices that are more suitable to social and professional life.
The patient can remove the aligners to eat or drink or for
an important meeting or as he requires.
be inserted on natural or artificial teeth, permanent bridge or implant-supported, and resin and metal removable
Custom-made aligners adapt over teeth so that the margin coincides precisely
with the gums margin. Lips, cheeks, and tongue naturally slide along
with aligners as they would have with teeth.
Aligners are easy to wear without anyassistance and problem.
The computer-assisted design process provides images of the
progressive tooth movements, allowing patient to easily understand the
treatment plans and immediately visualize the final outcome.
Each aligner is worn an
average of 22 hours a day for 14 days. In-clinic replacement
requires few instruments and little time per visit.
Demonstrations done by doctor are easy to understand and can be done easily at home.
Precalculation of tooth movements can reduce the overall treatment time.
WHAT ARE DISADVANTAGES OF INVISALIGN/CLEAR ALIGNER?
The advantage of removable appliance can become a disadvantage in the absence
of patient compliance.
2. LIMITATION OF TOOTH MOVEMENT CAPABILITY
Currently, there is some limitation in range and direction of tooth movement. so, not every case is case for aligners.
3. SKELETAL CORRECTION
Changes which require bone or growth modification can not be acheived by aligners.
4. DENTAL CORRECTION RELATED TO TOOTH MORPHOLOGY& POSITION
Teeth with significant intrusion or extrusion, mesial tipping, rotation may require a combination of
attachments, elastics or mini-implants
5. INTERACTION OF TEETH, SALIVA
The esthetic advantages of aligner can be offset by saliva buildup. This can be due to imperfect contact between teeth and aligners.
6. DOCTOR SKILLS
Doctor skill and knowledge is very important in achieving desired goal.
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE OF INVISALIGN/CLEAR ALIGNER?
1. STEP 1
Doctor makes a diagnosis and identifies
indications and contraindications associated with Invisalign treatment.
All the records necessary for Invisalign are
made, eg, impressions, photographs, and radiographs
2. STEP 2
CADCAM Technology fabricates aligners from:
—Accurate rubber base impressions of dental arches and
—Extraoral and intraoral photographs
—The treatment plan elaborated by the doctor
Computer creates a virtual model through computed tomography. Teeth are individually cut and
integrated into a working model after being digitally tailored in different
colors. Tooth axes, positions, and contact points, as well as the
gingival margin, are virtually specified and reproduced. The
treatment plan is then applied, and the movements are performed in
sequence via software.
Doctor receives the initial 3D treatment simulation generated by software. After final check by doctor, 3d printer fabricates a series of aligners to be used for treatment.